Brandon John is a Canadian professional soccer player. After growing up in Toronto, John moved to Germany in 2014 to pursue a professional soccer contract. After coming home from Germany, the Canadain played his first pro season with Seattle Sounders 2 in the USL before tearing his ACL. Following his recovery from his injury, John played for Orlando City B also in the USL. Currently playing in the Canadian Premier League of Atletico Ottawa, where he will make his debut this saturday (8/15) at 12:00 PM ET. A very talented and strong center-back, John is a player to keep an eye on during this unprecedented 2020 CPL season
The Brandon John Interview
1. Growing up in Toronto, what was your youth career like?
I first started my youth career with Scarborough Blizzard then went on to play for Ajax & Markham and eventually finished out my youth career in Toronto with Toronto FC Academy.
2. In 2014, you moved overseas to play in Germany. What made you decide to move overseas?
I was 17 at the time & had just finished pre season with the first team in Toronto. Playing in Europe was always my dream growing up and when there was interest I felt like it was an opportunity I had to take.
3. How is the level of play in Germany compared to here in the US and Canada?
In Germany the game is very different, the ball moves a lot faster. The players there for the most part are more technically gifted opposed to the more physical game here in North America.
4. What’s your most memorable moment from your time in Germany?
When I made my first team debut in a friendly against 3rd division Side Jahn Regensburg at our home stadium was something I won’t forget.
5. After coming back home from Europe, you signed with Sounders 2. How were you feeling after singing for a USL side?
Seattle Sounders was a great organization and it was my first time playing professionally in North America so it was a cool experience forsure.
6. During your time with the Sounders 2, you tore your ACL. How did you mentally stay strong throughout that time?
It was definitely a difficult time for me as a young player realizing I would be sidelined for such a long period of time for the first time in my life but I looked at other players that recovered from acl injuries and it motivated me to get back as soon as possible.
7. Describe your recovery process from that ACL injury.
For the recovery process I was doing rehab for about 3 hours a day 6 times a week so it was definitely strenuous but worth it in the long run.
8. After that time you went to play with Vaughan Aruzzi of the highly touted League1 Ontario. How was your time with Aruzzi?
My time with Vaughan was great, it was at a time I was recovering from a long injury & Vaughan was a great environment for me to get back to playing.
9. What’s your biggest advice for players and people in general going through injuries?
I would say to work hard with your rehab & recovery and stay focused on your goal of coming back & it will help you in the long run.
10. You recently signed with Atletico Ottawa in the newly founded Canadian Premier League. What does it mean to you to play in your country's own top division?
It’s a great feeling to be able to play professionally in Canada. I think it’s a league that’s only getting better & it’s a great opportunity for Canadian players all over.
13. Who’s your greatest role model and why?
My greatest role model is Cristiano Ronaldo because of his work ethic & how he’s been able to elevate himself to being a top & stay there for so many years.
14. What have you been doing to stay active over the course of quarantine?
A lot of runs and workouts from home, anything I can do to stay fit & ready for the season.
15. You’ve had some experiences with the Canadian National Team. What was the feeling of putting your National teams crest on like?
It’s definitely an honour there’s no feeling like it playing for your country, something I hope to do again in the near future.
16. Favorite song?
Lil Baby- Hurtin
17. Go for a snack on the road?
Founder, The Sports Court
Big thanks to Brandon for doing the interview! A top talent and top person! Keep grinding and working hard! Good luck to you this season and beyond!
A huge sports fan who loves to learn about all sports, from every corner of the world!