Pato Botello Faz is a Mexican professional soccer player for the Lansing Ignite of USL League 1. Pato was a star in college at St. Mary's (Texas) where he was named an All American. During his successful collegiate career he spent two summers playing in the PDL (now USL League 2) for both Corpus Christi FC and Texas United. He signed his first professional contract with Lansing before the USL League 1 season, and has since become a star player on the Ignite!
The Pato Botello Faz Interview
2. How were you scouted by St. Mary’s University (Texas)?
I played High School and Club in San Antonio and the coach from St Mary’s at the time saw me play in one of the showcases and that’s how everything started. After that I did a visit and decided that was the right fit.
3. While at St. Mary’s, you scored 39 goals in 65 games, any advice for other forwards looking to get on the scoresheet?
That’s a very good question. I feel scoring should come naturally, in my experience as a striker every time I try too hard to score I usually just have a bad game. So just trust yourself and your teammates and put yourself in a good position to score.
4. While at St. Mary’s, you spent two summers playing in the PDL (now USL League Two) with Texas United and Corpus Christi FC, describe what it was like to play for these two teams.
It was definitely a step up from college, those were seasons where I learned a lot, I learned to play faster and get a taste of how the pro level was going to be.
5. How were you feeling after signing for the Lansing Ignite of USL League 1?
It was an amazing feeling, it was always a dream of mine to play professional football and I had finally achieved it.
6. What’s the coolest city you’ve ever been to?
I really liked Toronto, it was beautiful.
7. Best memory from your playing career so far?
Scoring my first professional goal in front of my family and friends in Dallas, a moment I will never forget.
8. How has your time with Lansing been so far?
It’s been great. It was a little difficult to adapt to the weather and the culture but I like it a lot.
9. What’s one thing you're most afraid of?
I’m afraid of losing someone I love.
10. What’s one fun fact about you that not many people know?
A fun fact is that I love arcades.
11. If you could eat dinner with three celebrities, who would they be?
Nate Díaz, Ozuna, and Will Smith.
12. What was your favorite team/player growing up?
My favorite team was Tigres from Mexico. And my favorite player was Ronaldinho!
13. What’s a common misconception about being a professional?
That we have it easy. We work every single day and most of the time you’re away from your family when you’re a professional so that makes it even harder.
14. What’s your favorite memory from your playing career so far?
Definitely scoring my first professional goal.
15. Who’s the best player you’ve ever played against?
16. What are your thoughts in promotion/relegation for America?
I think they should start doing it as soon as possible. It makes it so much more!
17. Taking it back to your college days, you were an All American, the first to achieve this in St. Mary’s history. What does this honor mean to you?
It was an amazing honor and I couldn't have done it without the help of my coaches and my teammates.
18. In one sentence, describe yourself?
I am a competitor, not just in soccer but in life as well.
19. If you were to meet a Magic’s genie, and you had the opportunity to ask for one wish, any wish you want, what would it be?
would wish for a perfect singing voice lol!
20. How do you stay relaxed in stressful moments?
I just pray and put it all in God’s hands. Whatever happens it’s because it was meant to be.
21. What’s your biggest piece of advice for youngsters who want to become pro?
Just keep training hard and if you actually serious about playing professional, never give up.
22. Any last words for the readers?
Thank you so much for having me here. And y’all should support Lansing Ignite in this last stretch of the season.
Interview by Chris Dailey
Big thanks to Pato for the amazing interview, truly a great person off the pitch, and a fantastic, energetic, goal scoring machine on the pitch! Good luck during the rest of the year, we are rooting for you!
A huge sports fan who loves to learn about all sports, from every corner of the world!