Scroll down to see the interview
Elma Nfor is a Cameroonian professioanl soccer player for the Lansing Ignite of the USL League 1. Nfor, a physical player, loves to score goals and have a good time. Elma hasn't just been a success on the pitch, he's been one off of it as well! Nfor and his girlfriend started their own company, The Bonding Tie, which lead him to ABC's hit show, Shark Tank! Born in the Cameroon, Nfor and his family moved the states when he was eight, and now he's living the American dream! Elma spent two years at community college, then he went to Wingate where he won a D2 National Title! Nfor is a great player, who is very fun to watch!
The Elma Nfor Interview
2. What was your youth career like?
My youth career was great. I won a lot of trophies and played with some very talented players.
3. What was your college experience like?
My first two years of college was at a junior college and it was filled with learning and developing my mentality. Next two years of college was filled with winning every trophy in division 2 soccer with Wingate.
4. After graduating college, you played for Asheville City FC in the NPSL, describe your time at Asheville?
My time in Asheville just strengthened my desire to play pro. They had a good fan base and I just focused on being sharp and improving.
5. In 2018, you didn’t have a team. What was being a free agent like? What did it teach you?
Being a free agent for some time was great because I developed a different level of persistence. I was playing with an adult league team called kvars and working as a youth coach during the week.
6. After trials with many teams, you landed up at Lansing Ignite. What was your path to Lansing like?
I went to a tryout in Nashville SC didn’t make it, Louisville city didn’t make it, went to Charlotte independence’s open tryout and was selected out around 130 players to come into preseason. I was not signed by them and then I came to ignite.
7. How were you feeling after signing for the Lansing Ignite?
Being signed was like the scene in the pursuit of happiness where actor will smith finally gets the job. That’s how it felt.
8. What was it like to score against the Chicago Fire in a closed door match?
It was an unreal feeling because it was an MLS team that I used to watch a lot. I came off the bench and before I went in, I told the guys on the bench that I would score.
9. You’ve appeared on ABC’s hit show, Shark Tank, describe what it was like to go on the show?
I went to the tryout in Charlotte. I came up with a product with my girlfriend and went to the tryout to present it. We stood in line for a couple of hours and I didn’t get on the actual show but to spend the day with my girlfriend and be surrounded by brilliant thinkers
10. Can you tell us what the Bonding Tie is?
The bonding tie is a tie that buttons to your shirt.
11. How do you deal with failure?
Well failure doesn’t really exist for me. If a child is learning how to walk, they will not do it the first time. I have never heard a parent say you are a failure to the child. I see setbacks as part of the process.
12. What’s your greatest ever achievement?
My greatest achievement ever is being able to change the way that I think. I grew up in a poor village, came to America was not accepted for some time and was not the best student in school. So to change my thinking to get me where I am not is by far my greatest achievement.
13. Any tips for young players working to become pro?
Focus on the process. Understand that no one is above you and no one is below you. Compare yourself to yourself, not others.
14. Who’s your biggest role model and why?
I am my biggest role model because leaning on someone externally can be dangerous. They can lead you somewhere that you don’t want to do and people tend to pass the blame to their role models if something goes wrong. I enjoy putting the responsibility on myself.
15. What’s one thing people don’t realize about professionals?
The work starts after you get the contract. Everyday you must perform at a high level.
16. Best player you’ve ever faced?
Pablo Jara from Tormenta. Being someone that likes to score, he has done a great job of preventing me from doing so. But I will get him hahaha!
17. Favorite song?
I listen to music more for the beat. Any beat that gets me in a dancing mood.
18. Favorite movie?
White chicks or the matrix.
19. Coolest stadium you’ve played in?
Chicago fires stadium. (SeatGeek Stadium)
20. What are your main goals for the future?
I was put on this earth to work with kids and that’s what I will do till my heart stops beating.
21. How has your time been with Lansing so far?
My time in Lansing has been great. Love my team and the city. Ignite the night baby!!!!
22. What’s your biggest strength?
The way I think.
23. What’s your biggest weakness?
24. What’s your favorite food?
Anything my mom makes.
25. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
The power to multiply resources.
26. In five words, describe yourself?
I’m bringing sexy back.... Yeah!
27. What separates a professional from an amateur?
28. Any last words for the readers?
Do not be afraid to be bold. You are created in God’s image. Walk, talk, breathe, and share and love like he does.
Interview by Chris Dailey
Big thanks to Elma for the fantastic interview! Truly an inspiration for many, including myself! Keep working hard, and doing what you're doing! Best of luck in your future!
photos via https://www.facebook.com/lansingignitefc/photos/a.247107169298045/331789964163098/?type=3 and https://wlos.com/sports/content/getting-to-know-asheville-city-soccer-elma-nfor
For daily The Sports Court updates, check out our instagram, @the.sportscourt
A huge sports fan who loves to learn about all sports, from every corner of the world!