Tyler Miller is an American professional goalkeeper for Los Angeles Football Club of the MLS. Miller, a 26 year old from New Jersey, played college soccer at Northwestern. He was drafted with the 33rd overall pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft by the Seattle Sounders and was part of a Sounders team that won the MLS Cup. He also played for SVN Zweibrucken in Germany. Miller has been Bob Bradley's go to man for the goaltending job at LAFC, and has helped them achieve the best regular season record in MLS as they won the Supporters Shield this season. Miller is a great player and has shown just that at LAFC.
The Tyler Miller Interview
1. Growing up in New Jersey, what was your youth career like?
I played for a small club in south jersey called pittsgrove sc, we had several academies in the state but they were either too expensive or two far for my parents to commute at the time so I played club instead.
2. How were you recruited by Northwestern?
NU found me through the ODP system while I was playing at the Disney showcase.
3. While at Northwestern, you played in in the PDL for the Ocean City Nor’easters. What was your time in the PDL like?
PDL was ok. I didn’t play much for the Nor’easters, but I benefited more from training with professional clubs in the summer.
4. At Northwestern, you had a school record 36 shutouts. What was your time at Northwestern like?
Yes I have the record for most shutouts, and I loved my time at Northwestern.
5. What’s your favorite collegiate memory?
My favorite memory there was winning the big ten championship my freshman year
6. While in college, you also played for the Chicago Fire u23s. How did your opportunity with the Fire u23s come about?
This came about from staying in Chicago for college.
7. In 2015, you were drafted to the Seattle Sounders in the MLS SuperDraft. How were you feeling after being drafted to the Sounders?
When I was drafted it was a great feeling. I was really excited to have been selected by a historic club, but I was actually on the way to my brothers wedding so it was a very exciting weekend overall!
8. After being drafted, you decided to go to Germany to play for SVN Zweibrücken. What made you decide to abroad and how was your experience in Germany?
I decided to go abroad right after college because I wanted to experience a new culture, and explore Europe.
9. After your time in Germany, you came back to the Sounders where you got your first taste of MLS action. Describe your time with the Sounders and what it taught you as a player.
Seattle was a great experience. Coming back to the MLS was a great step for my career, and with Seattle I was able to win the MLS Cup and get my first professional debut.
10. In 2017, you were the first overall pick of the MLS expansion draft, going to LAFC. How was the transition from Seattle to Los Angeles?
The transition was great. LA gave me my first opportunity to win a starting job, and I get to live by the beach which isn’t too bad.
11. You’ve helped LAFC become one of MLS’ best teams. What’s the atmosphere like at LAFC games?
The atmosphere is the most intense, loud and exciting place to play in MLS.
12. You recently won the Supporters Shield with LAFC, what were the emotions in the locker room like after winning the shield?
There was a mix of emotions. But everyone was super proud to be able to help our club and supporters achieve something incredible!
13. What’s your biggest tip for younger players working to become professional?
My biggest tip for young players is to go out every day and have fun. You have to make sacrifices, work hard every opportunity, and get lucky in order to make it pro, but the most important thing is to enjoy playing soccer whenever you get the chance to play.
14. Who’s the best player you’ve ever played against?
I play with him everyday, Carlos Vela
15. What’s the biggest misconception about being a professional?
The biggest misconception is that when you become a professional things just get easier because you made it. Become a professional is the easy part, staying there and continiting is the hardest part.
16. What’s your greatest ever achievement?
Interview by Chris Dailey
Thanks so much to Tyler for the fantastic interview! An awesome goaltender and awesome person! Good luck this postseason, we're rooting for you!
A huge sports fan who loves to learn about all sports, from every corner of the world!