Darius Lewis is an American professional soccer player currently playing in the top flight of the Faroe Islands for Ki Klaksvik. Darius spent his youth career as a star prospect for the Philadelphia Union Academy before being scouted by Ki Klaksvik at an AX Soccer Tour Professional Combine. A versatile, goal scoring threat, Darius has made quite the impact over in Europe.
The Darius Lewis Interview
2. You got scouted by an AX Soccer Tour Combine, what are your biggest tips for combines/trials like this?
For the AX combine, you have to first be confident. Don’t show signs of fear. Listen to the coaches and what they ask of you. And of course express you talent.
3. How has your time been Kí Klaksvik so far?
My time at Kí has been nothing less than life amazing. Of course I’ve had difficulties with the football; coming from the US as a teenager isn’t easy. But after training hard everyday and showing that I can play a part in the success of the club is what keeps me motivated. Of course, God has helped me tremendously as well. Without Him none of this would be possible
4. What was it like to play in the Europa League?
Europa League was a crazy experience. I was in the Tv. And when I say that I mean, I’ve been watching these competitions my whole life on tv and now I was there. It was mind blowing.
5. Best player you’ve ever played against?
Haven’t played against any big names as yet.
6. How have you adjusted to the language barrier overseas?
Everyone here in the Faroe Islands speaks English and Faroese. So it’s not a priority for me to learn the native language although I still do practice it.
7. What are your main goals for the future?
My main goals for the near future are to hopefully play 1st Division football in Spain and to also open up Children foundations across the world!
8. Coolest stadium you’ve ever played in?
SwissArena home to FC Luzern in Switzerland.
9. What are your tips for young players working to become pro?
To reach the professional level it takes a lot of extra individual effort and training. You have to treat yourself as a pro if you want to get there. Which means doing gym work, eating right and staying focused. I also worked a lot on fitness in my spare time as well.
10. How do you deal with pressure?
I put all my pressure into the hands of God. He is the one that handles for me on and off the pitch.
11. Outside of soccer, what makes you happy?
Talking with my family and craving jokes makes me so happy.
12. What separates a professional from an amateur?
A professional is obviously someone who is getting paid to play; but a real professional does all the right things to keep his body 100% fit rather than an amateur.
13. What’s your dream five a side team?
My dream 5 a side, Ronaldinho, Messi, Iniesta, Puyol, Jadon Sancho.
14. What’s your go to snack on the road?
I have a big sweet tooth, but I love Reese's chocolate!
15. What are common misconceptions about being a pro?
My advice. Follow the path that God calls you to walk in. Use the gift God has given you to give him the glory that he deserves.
16. Who’s your biggest role model and why?
My biggest role model is my father. If I can be half the man he is, would be amazing. He has invested so much into developing my footballing ability ever since I was 6 years old. But he is honest, humble, loving, and a true devoted Christian. An exemplary father.
Interview by Chris Dailey
Big thanks to our man Darius for the awesome interview. Keep rocking it out on the pitch, and keep up the great work off of it. A true inspiration to younger players who want to become pro! Best of luck in your future, you got big things ahead of you!