Tyler Nelson is an American professional basketball player for the Greensboro Swarm of the NBA G League. Greensboro is the affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets. Nelson, born and raised in Massachusetts has been a star is whole life, winning Gatorade State Player of the Year while he was a senior in high school. Tyler had a legendary career at Fairfield, he is the programs all time leading scorer, and in his junior and senior season he made the All MAAC roster. Nelson went undrafted, however that didn't stop him from finding a contract. He played in the NBA Summer League with the Minnesota Timberwolves, before getting cut. Nelson was then picked up by the Hornets/Swarm, being the third overall pick in the 2018 NBA G League Draft. He has since helped the Swarm reach the playoffs, and has built quite the resume for himself.
The Tyler Nelson Interview
2. What was it like to win Massachusetts Gatorade Player of the Year?
Winning Gatorade player of the year was a major accomplishment for me in high school. It meant so much to me because it was something I set out to achieve before the season started and to see it come true was a testament to the hard work and sacrifices I made to make it possible.
3. How was your time at Fairfield? What did your college experience teach you?
Fairfield was a great experience besides being a college athlete I loved everything about the school it’s filled with great people and students so I will forever be thankful for my time there. Overall my college experience taught me more than just basketball but it brought me friendships that I will have for life.
4. Any tips for High School and College players looking to make an impression?
Tip for high school and college players is to be a hard worker and be a good teammate. Not everyone is going to be a superstar but if you work hard and are a good teammate you will always have a spot on the team.
5. You had the most points in Fairfield history, what does this stat mean to you?
Being the all time leading scorer at Fairfield is an accomplishment that I am extremely proud of. Beyond the record and stat it represents all the hard work paying off over my college career and never giving up.
6. After a Summer League stint with the Timberwolves, you were the 3rd overall pick in the G League Draft, what was being drafted like?
Being drafted in the G League was a moment of happiness that my dream of being a pro basketball player was coming true and that I was one step closer to the ultimate goal of being in the NBA one day.
7. How was your time been with Greensboro so far?
My time in Greensboro was great we had a solid team that was fun to play with and it’s helped me learn and become a better player.
8. Toughest part about the transition from college to pro?
Toughest part of college to pros is the physicality.
9. Best player you’ve ever played against?
10. Largest crowd you’ve ever played in front of?
Cameron indoor stadium vs duke sell out crowd.
11. If you could go back in time, where would you go?
Back to freshman year of college.
12. Who is your biggest role model?
13. Who is in your time five all time?
Kobe, Lebron, Larry Bird, Kareem, and Magic.
14. Favorite movie?
15. Any hobbies outside of basketball, if so what are they?
16. Craziest story from your career so far?
Playing at Duke freshman year, sold out crowd.
17. What separates a pro from an amateur?
Pro is different from amateur because as a pro it’s everyday.
18. Dream vacation spot?
19. Favorite team/player growing up?
20. Go to snack on the road?
Sour patch kids.
21. Biggest misconception about being a pro?
That’s it’s and easy job but it’s actually really stressful
Interview by Chris Dailey
Huge thanks to Tyler for the great interview! Keep up the good work! We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, we're rooting for you!
photo via https://twitter.com/tylernelson14